Happy June friends! Where the heck did May go? I’m fairly certain it was only yesterday that I was telling you about what I’d been loving in March and April and now it’s already June?!
The new job has been full-on, to say the least. I feel like I’m just starting to find my rhythm with it, which is finally allowing me time and brain space to get back to writing here. I don’t think I’m yet up to my usual 4 posts a week, but let’s aim for at least one and see how we go, okay?
So, let’s get down to what I loved in May shall we?
I didn’t buy a huge amount in May. I’m actually trying to be more conscious about what I buy and making sure I buy things I only truly love. BUT I did purchase a few things and they all make this list!
Boots: my old trusty tan ankle boots from Target are dying a death (though I will keep wearing them until they quite literally fall off my feet!) so I have been on the hunt for a new pair and I found them! I have been living in these cut out boots since early May and I adore them! Perfect all year long!
Bras: I love pretty lingerie. I can’t help it. There’s something about wearing cute undies that just makes me smile. I have had a red lace bralette for over a year and wear it constantly so I thought it was about time to add some more to my collection! So far, the black is my favourite but I have a feeling I’m going to have a serious soft spot for the white one come summer!
Dress: I knew I wanted a new dress for my birthday party last weekend, but after searching high and low for one, I was starting to run out of ideas and had mentally started flicking through the options in my wardrobe when I walked into Dotti less than 48 hours before show time and spotted this beauty! I tried on a few others just to make sure, but within seconds I knew this was the one. It’s flirty, fits perfectly, isn’t too long and I can wear it again and again (I’ve already worn it once this past week!)
I was also lucky enough to receive a candle from Eadie and Wallace and this diffuser from Dusk for my birthday, both of which make the place smell like heaven – and it means I got to move my White Company candle into the master bathroom – hello long soaks in the tub!
Well my Emily March obsession continues! This month I read Heartache Falls – which was the perfect book to accompany me on a work trip to Auckland – and I loved it. I currently have 3 on hold at the library so I can’t wait for them to come in!
I’ve also been reading Moving by Jenny Eclair for Book Club; Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory; and I See You by Clare Mackintosh. I have yet to finish any of them – which should tell you just how full on the new job has been – but I have loved each one and am resolved to finish them all in the next week or so!
Not going to lie, this has been my main source of entertainment over the last month. After a long day, the only thing I have wanted to do is curl up under the blankets on the sofa and watch Netflix. So this list is a little longer than it would be usually!
- Line of Duty – finally watched all 3 seasons on Netflix and now impatiently waiting for season 4 to be uploaded. There were moments, especially in season 1, that were totally not Annéka appropriate but overall I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend
- Making A Murderer – yes I know, we’re about 2 years behind the rest of the world but still! We’re also totally split as to whether or not he did it. Where do you stand?
- Mad Men – I have started rewatching this from the beginning as I only dipped in and out during the original run but holy crap it’s soooooooo good! Also, kinda like my new job!!!
- How I Met Your Mother – how on Earth I missed this when it first aired, I will never know. Probably because I was too distraught over the end of FRIENDS and was totally obsessed with The O.C. but still! In the space of a week, we’ve devoured all of season 1 and half of season 2. If you haven’t watched it yet – do it now!!!
- Fifty Shades Darker – okay, this one I need to talk more about. I’ve never really given my thoughts on the first one so let’s start there. Firstly, I don’t care what anyone says, Jamie Dornan is HOT and he and Dakota have serious chemistry. Secondly, I speed read the first book before watching the film and it freaked me out. I’m not sure how I thought the first book would end but needless to say I was more than a little shocked and even more so seeing it on screen. That final scene from the first film will forever be stuck in my memory – and not in a good way! The second one, however, SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I watched it in fits and starts a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night and I’m going to have to rewatch in one sitting, but it was so good. Yes, it’s probably just because I’m a hopeless romantic, but I loved the story of this one so much more. Plus the sex scenes were way more relatable.
- Spotlight – watched it again for the second time in Auckland and loved it even more than the first time round. If you haven’t seen it, please do so.
- Truth – did I totally miss when this came out at the cinema or did it just not get aired here? Whatever happened, I completely missed it and again, watched it in Auckland. For someone who prides herself on her knowledge of US Politics, there was a lot more to this film that I originally thought and I’m so glad I watched it. I’m not sure whether or not I agree with them being fired though.
So that’s it. That was my May. How about yours lovely? What did you get up to? What have you been loving? Let me know!